Prev: Re: Sheep Puns Next: Re: 1:1 FMAS

Re: 1:1 FMAS

From: "Brendan Pratt" <bastard@o...>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:23:16 +1100
Subject: Re: 1:1 FMAS

> Paintball, on the other hand, has the most important biological
stupidity
> penalty next to death... Pain.  Those things _HURT_ at close range,
and
> they don't feel like a love tap from any other range.
>
> >But physical fitness (and the ability to move quietly in the woods)
is
> >pretty key.

I've got to jump in about here - I work at a paintball field and play on
Pro Team here in OZ - fitness is usefull for certain styles of play -
tactic
revolve around your capabilities and will determine the outcome - The
local
Army, Navy, Airforce, Reserves and Military colleges train at our fields
on
a regular basis and the fitness has NO part in what they do - I have
seen
their teams get smashed in short order by very unfit individuals who
keep
changing their tactics	- paintball does revlove heavily around movement
and
communication. Firepower is a consideration, but as the pump vs semis
tourneys we hold and play in every month attest - communication and
steady
nerve can beat strength, speed and agility.

> Harumph.  Size means more than physical fitness.  12 year old kids are
the
> bane of my existence.  Good 12 year olds, who have played for a while,
will
> kill you dead.  It's the smaller target, the ability to fit into cover
that
> would block my left foot, and the ability to be standing behind a
bunker
> that I have to crouch down behind allowing them to move easier and
quicker
> (they don't have to get their fat behinds up off the dirt).

12 year olds can't play here - but they still will lack the
co-ordination to
act as a team - again I say this is more important than those physical
characteristics.

 True, they're
> usually quicker, more agile, more energy, more in shape, etc.  But
those
> only make it hurt worse when they laugh at you in the kill box.
Still,
> brains and sneaky beat youth and fitness, even in this game.

Yup - the sledging hurts morethan the paint - which IMHO does not hurt
as
much as some people make out..... :-)

One other point is luck - "better lucky than good"  has won more
tourneys
than just skill - I admit to being a little lucky and I like to think
I'm
skilled, but I've been eliminated by lucky people on many occaisions -
paybacks just one game away ;-)

Brendan
(Team ACME)

Prev: Re: Sheep Puns Next: Re: 1:1 FMAS