Prev: Re: A Change of Orders (ECC) + Paintball Next: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...

Re: 1:1 FMAS

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:46:59 -0500
Subject: Re: 1:1 FMAS

>I think it is important to realise that paintball and laser tag and all

>these games bear very little resemblence to reality. It is just a game!

>Training, tactics etc really don't work with either game for the simple

>reason that the rules are completely different, as are the
ranges/accuracies.

I beg to differ here.  Having played paintball for years now, with well
over 200 days of playing, training, tactics, and etc make a _huge_
difference.  They are not necessarily the same tactics you'll find on a
modern battle field, but that doesn't make them any less.

What you may be confusing here, if you haven't played enough to
understand
it, is that normal infantry tactics and training are less effective than

they are on a real battlefield.  I've personally handed a group of
rangers
their ego's for several runs until they adapted and started using the
same
tactics I did.	They returned my ego to me, bruised as it was, by the
end
of the day.

Small groups, not large.  Fire and move, cover fire, volume fire, all
work
well, but one good charge has made or broke a team before.  Position is
key.  Stealth is a beautiful thing for the old codgers.

Best team I ever saw or played against were local SWAT members, but that

was on a city and tree course (mock city, in the middle of a large
forest.)  They were experienced paintballers, but less so than many in
the
tournament...  It was the training, and most importantly their teamwork
that carried them through.

As to accuracy...  No, you don't hit at a 1000 yards, or with any sort
of
wind.  But a good friend of mine has a...  How do you spell the camo
that
snipers use, geelie?  Guile?  anyway, he made one, and it works _very_
well.  The problem there is that most games only last 15-30 minutes,
which
isn't enough time to truly move in that thingand properly use it.  The
silencer was very helpful as well, until they outlawed them.  :(
(bloody
bastitches who converted them for real firearms use...)  However, when
we
play the occasional 24-48 hour game, he and a few others have been named

MVP's for good reason.

Laser Tag is something I only messed with a couple of times, and noted
that
there's really no penalty for doing stupid things.  So stupidity tends
to rule.

Paintball, on the other hand, has the most important biological
stupidity
penalty next to death... Pain.	Those things _HURT_ at close range, and
they don't feel like a love tap from any other range.

>But physical fitness (and the ability to move quietly in the woods) is
>pretty key.

Harumph.  Size means more than physical fitness.  12 year old kids are
the
bane of my existence.  Good 12 year olds, who have played for a while,
will
kill you dead.	It's the smaller target, the ability to fit into cover
that
would block my left foot, and the ability to be standing behind a bunker

that I have to crouch down behind allowing them to move easier and
quicker
(they don't have to get their fat behinds up off the dirt).  True,
they're
usually quicker, more agile, more energy, more in shape, etc.  But those

only make it hurt worse when they laugh at you in the kill box.  Still,
brains and sneaky beat youth and fitness, even in this game.

Silent movement is a relative concept...  The masks pretty much cover
the
ears (for good reason, having had califower ear from a close range shot
THROUGH the mask) and impair your hearing.  The masks also hamper your
sight, impairing or blocking peripheral, and fogging (Invest in an
anti-fog, double layer lens mask.  And still expect fogging.).	I've
been
in the middle of a patch of leaves, in white jeans, in the fall, prone,
and
blew away three good players before the ever knew I was there.

Prev: Re: A Change of Orders (ECC) + Paintball Next: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...