Prev: Re: Large Scale Games (was Re: Stardestroyer stats) Next: RE: RE: Large Scale Games (was Re: Stardestroyer stats)

BATTLE SIZES

From: DAWGFACE47@w...
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:50:24 -0600 (CST)
Subject: BATTLE SIZES

USING 25mm/28mm  20thCENTURY, 21stCENTURY, and sci-fi infantry,
vehicles,  buildings,  and terrain,  on a 10ft by 5 ft or12 ft by 6 ft,
tends to be practically limited to a company or re-enforced  company per
side. withor  without  on table  mortars.

possibly with off table air, artillery, or ortillery support, or
mortars.

in the past, with other sci-fi rules,  we have had  as many as 5 players
, approx 150 infantry and 3-5  AFVs on each side.
have not done this with SG II though.

instead of imposing artificial ground scales, we  eventually decided
EVERYTHING ON THE  TABLETOP was in range, with LOS (and LOF!) restricted
by buildings, terrain, vehicles, and friendly troops.

makes for a very thoughful game when folks discover that " hard cover"
offers protection and concealment, while  "soft cover" offers only
concealment!

LOL-also folks start to think about going through walls and  over
rooftops rather than down streets with their  grunts!

also we started to use various numbers of D6 for movement distance,
modified by terrain and weather,  with our games  to account  for
previously unseen  and undetected movement problems due to terrain
conditions, or troop reluctance (moving around in combat is dangerous!)
or inability  (due to combat loads) to MOVE as much as the players want
them to move.

coming from a gaming  culture where  big games	were the norm, most of
us think othing of playing an 8-10 hour game to a conclusion, or to
fight	battle over a period of real days.

in DALLAS, WRG Ancients and other rules campaign games in 25mm	(and
15mm, 1:1200 naval, or micro-armor)) were routinely fought ought on
tables 6ft wide and up to 60ft long for years.

the average player had multiple "armies" in 25mm consisting of	300 -
1000 figures and  models.

this  meant that  there were always troops available  for NEW GUYS and
GALS to push while theybought and painted their own up.

and the biggest clubs, organized and based out of the  ARMADILLO or
MINIFIGSUSA / HERITAGE MODELS, boasted	memberships of several 100s
active gamers - historical gamers, mostly, but	with huge sci-fi,
fantasy, RPG gaming contingents.

and a large  gaming  club was based out of  the community college in
RICHARDSON (DALLAS suburb), as well as ARLINGTON, with smaller ones in
GARLAND and MESQUITE.

and numerous  smaller gaming groups  that interacted with the bigger
groups.

your games, with any rules or figure scale, are only limited by playing
space and gamer  commitment and enjoyment.

Prev: Re: Large Scale Games (was Re: Stardestroyer stats) Next: RE: RE: Large Scale Games (was Re: Stardestroyer stats)