Prev: Re: FMAS 1:1 Next: RE: RE: RE: [SGII] The Eyes Have It.

Re: Um, eh? (Orbital Mechanics for Dummies)

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:44:54 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Um, eh? (Orbital Mechanics for Dummies)

On 12-Mar-02 at 12:40, Randy W. Wolfmeyer (rwwolfme@artsci.wustl.edu)
wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Tomb wrote:
>
> > I'm in orbit (ignore drag). I launch a Thor Javelin by applying
thrust
> > directly towards planetary centre of mass. What will happen to my
> > projectile? With thrust applied, it should move away from the
> > satellite.... and then what?
>
> It will also move it into an elliptical orbit, but not as efficiently
as
> thrusting backwards.

And if you apply enough thrust the close edge of the ellipse is under
the surface of the planet and your missile impacts the ground.	As
a matter of fact if you missile can pull 100Gs I bet the impact
occurs far sooner than slowing your orbit.

Prev: Re: FMAS 1:1 Next: RE: RE: RE: [SGII] The Eyes Have It.