Prev: Re: Gyrobombs Next: Re: Um, eh? (Orbital Mechanics for Dummies)

Re: Gyrobombs

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:50:58 +0100
Subject: Re: Gyrobombs

----- Original Message -----

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 07:39:38PM +0100, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
> >Main problem: the gyroscopic effects. Once the wheel has been spun up
> >speed it will be a pig to control. I don't them useeable as missiles.
The
> >mine ideas is quite neat, still (and self.defusing over time)
>
> I'm assuming the warhead would be mounted in a gimballed frame to
allow
> the outer casing to be rotated freely.

This has the problem that you can't control the direction of spin and
the
resulting fragments. A gimballed gyroscope will always point in the sae
direction in space, not relative to Earth. So if you spin it at noon to
fragment parallel to the surface, at 6 o'clock, the fragmentation disk
will
be vertical.

Greetings

Prev: Re: Gyrobombs Next: Re: Um, eh? (Orbital Mechanics for Dummies)