Prev: Re: [DSII]Aerospace firing Next: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...

Alien Space/SFBM (was: Stardestroyer stats)

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:16:23 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Alien Space/SFBM (was: Stardestroyer stats)

wrote:

>>> Evidently the fire control scanners had failed horribly, as fire
was conducted by writing down the bearing of the shots, not the
targets. The thread was pulled taut on that bearing, and if it passed
over a silhouette, damage was scored. <<

>> Sounds like... was it "Alien Space"? It had one weapon for which
one wrote down two bearings, four grads apart. If both passed over the
same enemy ship, it was automatically destroyed. <<

> Alien Space...  What fond memories.

> The "Gapper Zapper" :-P Range was 36"

Range of _all_ the "Special Weapons" was 36", from memory, as opposed
to 60" for beams; the player with the double-strength beam battery and
no special weapons had an interesting time trying to keep out of SW
range so that he could zap everyone else.

> Stalker Pods
> Javelin Torpedoes
> Tentacle beam
> among others.

Oh, yeah... The Nytron Cube/Lance, the infamous Magma Beam (not unlike
an FT nova cannon), Proton torps (long before Star Wars gave them to
fighters), Blazers... ah, nostalgia. I was a GZ ace in bygone days, and
had quite a few kills with Javelin torps, too. Lotsa fun.

Made more so with the group I played with by our house rules (uprated
weapons, hyperjumps, base stations) and the notorious typos in the
copies of these rules that were distributed to players. I never saw an
Electron Stalker Pod in use, but $Torcker Pods were a source of great
hilarity, as was the Tenticlee Beam.

As for the fire control "problem", I've always thought that people who
complain about that were missing the point! You got to crawl about on
the floor (or I did; we ran our games in university common rooms and
the like), carefully sighting your shots (especially with the GZ, where
both beams had to hit or nothing happened), and the satisfaction was
great when the shot hit, particularly when you managed to get _right_
on target so that the weapons damaged life support and sensors, which
were located in a narrow mid-section region; ahead of that, weapons and
defences were hit, behind it engines, etc. Of course, with a GZ, any
hit was enough... <g>

Oh, and AS used degrees, not grads, and IIRC, the GZ beams were one
degree either side of the nominal shot bearing. The SFBM introduced
grads ("metric" angles, I presume).

Most people here know of the story of AS and the StarFleet Battle
Manual, so I won't repeat it, except to curse yet again the
non-appearance of the semi-promised AS minis. I really wanted a couple
of sets of those ships...

Phil
----
"I think... I think I am! Therefore I am... I think?"
				       -- The Moody Blues

Prev: Re: [DSII]Aerospace firing Next: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...