Prev: RE: [SGII] The Eyes Have It. Next: Flesh Wash Paint

Re: [SGII] The Eyes Have It.

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:36:44 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [SGII] The Eyes Have It.

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:37:26 -0600, Allan Goodall <agoodall@att.net>
wrote :
> > 3) Dot the first eyeball with a point of black, resulting in a
perfect eye,
> > the Platonic Ideal of a 25mm miniature eye, an eye so perfect as to
make
> > Leonardo himself weep with envy.
>
> This is where it breaks down. I tried a dot and got the same thing you
did.
> Instead, I do a black spot so that the middle of the eye is black,
from one
> eye lid to another. When you look at it, only the outside and inside
corners
> of the eye are white. When you back up, the effect looks pretty good.

Thanks -- that's one to try.  I tend to forget that not everyone is
going to be staring at the figures as closely as I do when I'm painting
them.

> > As you can imagine, this makes painting any decent sized force into
an almost
> > Sisyphean task.
>
> Most of my eye painting takes, on average, maybe 2 to 5 minutes per
figure.
> Sometimes much, much less (you get the spot just the way you want it).
I like
> the end result, and no one looks like they just got startled in the
shower.

My problem -- well, one of many -- is that I tend to get frustrated with
my paint jobs far too easily.  I've taken to getting the face finished
first, because if
the face is done (and looks good) I am far more likely to actually
finish the figure.  As a result, I spend more time on the faces of the
minis than on the
the rest of the figure.  I need to learn to say "That's good *enough*,
dammit."

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: RE: [SGII] The Eyes Have It. Next: Flesh Wash Paint