Prev: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....Question Next: RE: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 18:42:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

--- Derek Fulton <derekfulton@bigpond.com> wrote:

> BTW EX-president Clinton was recently in Australia

Consider the source.  I mean, the guy was a draft
dodger, his grip on military history can't be all that
great.

> on a paid speaking
> engagement. In the course of the address he made a
> comments stating to the
> effect that the US was the unbeatable nation in the
> field of arms since the
> end of WW2. At this point a old gentlemen in the
> audience lept to his feet
> and yelled "What about Korea?"

I've had this discussion before--and I'll say the same
thing.	Last time I checked, the US 8th Army was
headquartered in Seoul, which is the capital of the
independant state of the Republic of Korea.

Hence the objective of preserving the independance of
the ROK and containing communist agression was
achieved.  Granted it wasn't easy--M-24s vs T-34s is a
bit of a rough matchup.  But it happened.

The old gentleman would have been better off
referencing another Asian conflict that's a bit closer
to Australia where US political objectives were not
achieved (although without dishonor to American
_arms_, which achieved every task set for them and
were never defeated on the field of battle).

John

Prev: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....Question Next: RE: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....