Prev: RE: Alien habits and pet peeves Next: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc.

Re: Hills, Mountains, etc.

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:30:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc.

>>I think tractors are especially prone to falling over because they are
>>relatively narrow and high, with a high center of gravity. Most
>>military vehicles won't fall over that easily. But it can still
happen.

>Hmm. Tell that to folks that have gotten tanks upside down. Doug's
>Heavy Metal Gallery has an interesting story by a USMC tanker who had
>to off load ammo from a tank that was driven over a steep hill in the
>dark and ended up inverted. They had to off load the ammo with
>battery acid dripping around them.

Yeah.

I heard a story about a tank tipping event at Gagetown (Canadian
armoured
training center out in the Maritimes).	I think this was back when we
used
Centurions - don't think it was a Leopard, but it might have been.
Story
was that a training crew on exercise tipped the tank over, but it landed
in
boggy ground off the track, and sunk partially.  Problem was that there
was
no way to get the otherwise unhurt crew out.  No one had cutting torches
available, and there wasn't a crane big enough to right the sunken tank,
close enough to get to them.  So after trying (and failing) several
different ways to get the crew out, they brought in a Padre.  And that
was it.

I imagine that you have to work pretty hard at tipping a tank (ie be
rather
stupid), but it is certainly possible.

The Canadian army in the Balkans has had a number of incidents of APC's
(like the M113s we have in the region) tipping over in icy weather.

Prev: RE: Alien habits and pet peeves Next: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc.