Prev: RE: IJN/UNSC technology Next: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #977

RE: RE: IJN/EDF Ships

From: "Adam Benedict Canning" <dahak@d...>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:12:21 -0000
Subject: RE: RE: IJN/EDF Ships

> Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:48:51 +1100
> From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au>
> Subject: RE: IJN/EDF Ships
>
> On Wednesday, March 06, 2002 7:34 AM, MSN Renegade
> [SMTP:msnrenegade@cs.com]
> >
> > Tumblehome? BULBOUS BOW?? I haven't seen the Anime in question.
> > What medium is this vessel supposed to navigate?
>
> The show in question is "Star Blazers" in english, and
> "Space Battleship
> Yamato" if you can find the Japanese version.
> Effectively, they overhauled the hulk of the WW2 Yamato
> into a starship.

Somehow it lost a large amount of waist line in the process, possibly
welding the two halves back together had this effect.

It does get used as a submarine once or twice [Pluto and Gamelion
IIRC] and they do park it in the sea most times they land it. That
doesn't quite explain the later EDF Capital ships [Perhaps its
tradition] or the Gamelion Battle Carrier
http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato/images/gamilon/battlecarrier_reve
nge.jpg.

The Yamato's offical replacement
http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato/images/edf/battleship_andromeda.j
pg Note it is seen firing both WMG's simultaneously. Charles has some
rules for that and turreted versions we might persuade him to put up
here.

Its supposedly noticeable in the original but not the American version
that they show the sinking of the Yamato [complete with dramatic
music] and later in the series the Gamelions attempt to destroy her
new incarnation using the same attack formations for their fighter
spacecraft [Accompanied by the same dramatic music. But fail due among
other things to the Wave Motion Gun in its original TV appearance.].
Among the series conventions is that fighter space craft only attack
from above the waterline and subspace submarines from below. The
Heroes never notice this.

Winning the Gamelion attempt to re-enact Midway is more noticeable.
But then is wining against an opposing force who erase their pilots
memories before launch really that difficult?

Prev: RE: IJN/UNSC technology Next: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #977