Prev: Land Warfare Systems Next: RE: [DSII] infantry figures

Re: GEV Tank

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:20:33 +0100
Subject: Re: GEV Tank

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy W. Wolfmeyer" <rwwolfme@artsci.wustl.edu>

> I had thought about the fact that the intakes were probably a weak
point
> in a realistic design, but then again it looked so much cooler than
any
other
> layout I could think of.  And in this case coolness had to win out.

Actually, I think you could argue/design your way out of that. A few
ideas:

- A hover tank will need big intakes somewhere. In fact, I think yours
are
on the small side. Any big intakes will be a weak spot. With top-attack
weaponry intakes on the top would be equally vulnerable.
- Forward-facing intakes are considerably more efficient for a
fast-moving
vehicle.
- Cover the intakes with wire mesh against light grenades
- The airflow will have to be redirected inwards. A system of internal
baffles may be designed to do this and to stop projectiles that  enter
the
intakes.
- The outer plates on the intake would serve to explode HEAT or similar
weapons at a safe distance.
- The plates covering the sides of the intakes may be designed to blow
off
if a grenade hits the intake and explodes inside. You may want to mark
panels to indicate this.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Land Warfare Systems Next: RE: [DSII] infantry figures