Prev: Re: Pushy Lawn Bug Wanted! Next: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS

Re: FT: FTL and Streamlining

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 18:12:46 EST
Subject: Re: FT: FTL and Streamlining

While I like the logic of partial to full streamlining on SD (System
defense) boats [i.e., non-FTL] I think that a SD probably should carry
more weapons since it is a more specialized ship incapable of out of
system actions and only capable of responding to FTL incursions (who can
run away and come back next week somewhere  else in the target system.)

In one off scenarios SD ships are stronger but in a multiple system
scenario like in the books (MT? FB1?) they are incapable of moving
between threatened systems.  An operational or even strategic draw back.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:18:07 -0800 "Brian Bilderback"
<bbilderback@hotmail.com> writes:
>Richard Bell wrote:
>
>>Once the mass cost of FTL went down to 10%, from 25%, of the ship,
>the
>>impetus
>>to have tugs drag in non-FTL ships waned.  In FT2, ships could only
>use
>>half of
>>their mass for weapons and stuff; unless, they were not FTL (which
>allowed
>>up to
>>75%).  Mass for mass, FTL-equipped ships could not combat non-FTL
>vessels.
>>FB1
>>fixed this problem.
>
>Kinda.  Several respected list members pointed out to me that since
>FTL
>costs a % of a ship's mass, it still leaves a Non-FTL ship with free
>mass to
>add more weaponry.  So while FB1 addressed the imbalance, they
>asserted that
>one still existed.
>
>Examples (Simplistic for facility.  I am not proposing either as an
>operational design:
>
>Mass 40
>
>FTL version:
>
>Thrust 6, 12 Mass
>FTL	   +4 Mass
>	  =16 Mass
>
>Leaving 24 mass for Hull, Weapons, Etc.
>
>Non-FTL Version:
>
>Thrust 6, 12 Mass
>
>Leaving 28 Mass for Hull, Weapons, Etc. (a substantial amount for that
>size
>ship)
>
>By requiring at least partial streamlining on Non-FTL for my
>background:
>
>Partial SL,  4 Mass
>Thrust 6,  +12 Mass
>	    =16 Mass
>
>Leaving 14 Mass (Same as an FTL ship)
>
>It at least partially addresses the difference.
>
>2B^2

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Prev: Re: Pushy Lawn Bug Wanted! Next: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS