Prev: Re: Moving was : FIRE TEAMS IN SG II Next: Re: Re: [SG-WW2] BAR

Re: [SG-WW2] BAR

From: bbrush@u...
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:26:58 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG-WW2] BAR

The BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) was as you thought, the squad support
weapon for US infantry squads.	It was a great weapon for it's time, but
it
had it's drawbacks.  Probably it's biggest weakness was that it had a
fairly high rate of fire, but it was magazine fed, not belt fed.  This
meant a lot of reloading.  It was also damn heavy, weighing in at around
18
pounds.

Also as you mentioned it basically fits the bill as an assault rifle and
this is how John Browning first envisioned it being used.  The army had
other ideas though.

Bill