Prev: Re: FT: FTL and Streamlining Next: The whiter side of white

Re: FT: FTL and Streamlining

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:18:07 -0800
Subject: Re: FT: FTL and Streamlining

Richard Bell wrote:

>Once the mass cost of FTL went down to 10%, from 25%, of the ship, the
>impetus
>to have tugs drag in non-FTL ships waned.  In FT2, ships could only use

>half of
>their mass for weapons and stuff; unless, they were not FTL (which
allowed
>up to
>75%).	Mass for mass, FTL-equipped ships could not combat non-FTL
vessels.
>FB1
>fixed this problem.

Kinda.	Several respected list members pointed out to me that since FTL
costs a % of a ship's mass, it still leaves a Non-FTL ship with free
mass to
add more weaponry.  So while FB1 addressed the imbalance, they asserted
that
one still existed.

Examples (Simplistic for facility.  I am not proposing either as an
operational design:

Mass 40

FTL version:

Thrust 6, 12 Mass
FTL	  +4 Mass
	 =16 Mass

Leaving 24 mass for Hull, Weapons, Etc.

Non-FTL Version:

Thrust 6, 12 Mass

Leaving 28 Mass for Hull, Weapons, Etc. (a substantial amount for that
size
ship)

By requiring at least partial streamlining on Non-FTL for my background:

Partial SL,  4 Mass
Thrust 6,  +12 Mass
	   =16 Mass

Leaving 14 Mass (Same as an FTL ship)

It at least partially addresses the difference.

2B^2

Prev: Re: FT: FTL and Streamlining Next: The whiter side of white