Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW JAP SHIPS ONLINE!!!! :-) Next: Re: [FT] Alert status

Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet72@y...>
Date: 26 Feb 2002 14:54:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

That tri-angulation just like you described works just fine in
land-navigation.  But that's (sort of) 2 dimensional.

I think you'd need a 3rd pulsar (or other known point) to determine the
unknown point (your location).	Otherwise, you could just be anywhere
along the circumference of a circle which is the diameter of the
distance you are from the nearest pulsar... (or something like that,
insert Layman's disclaimer here).

That is, assuming that you're not using light-shift from movement, etc.
and just using the location of the pulsars relative to you.

--Flak

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 14:08, Hal wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> At present, we are using a 2 AU baseline for measurements of stars.
Once

--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW JAP SHIPS ONLINE!!!! :-) Next: Re: [FT] Alert status