Prev: OT: Tethys on Ebay Next: Re: Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic)

Re: SPS/Pulsars

From: katie@f...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:47:40 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: SPS/Pulsars

Quoting Dances With Rocks <kochte@stsci.edu>:

> [...]

It's not /just/ looking at the pulsars. You also know /which one/ you're

looking at because of the pulse rate. So you actually have to get their
positions and frequencies right. And then there's the fact you're
observing
from a moving starship -- at interplanetary speeds you /ought/ to be
able to
get a distance to the pulsar from it's parallax in a couple of hours.
Certainly
if its parallax is high (close object) you're going to notice.

Using pulsars wouldn't get you very accurate anyway - they're probably
not
dense enough... but you would get an approximate area. Knowing that and
having
a star catalogue means you can spot the nearby bright stars, you can
work out
their approximate apparent magnitude, approximate positions, find them
(and
check their absorbtion spectrums, just to be sure) and get a more
accurate fix.
You ought to be able to get within a cubic AU fairly easily from a few
pulsars
and some local stars.

Of course: if you fake the pulsars, the local stars aren't going to
match...
the chances of there being similar stars in the right places to match
your
faked location is pretty minimal.

Prev: OT: Tethys on Ebay Next: Re: Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic)