Prev: Re: Space Sports Next: Re: Space Sports

Re: [OT] Flag stomping

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:20:03 -0800
Subject: Re: [OT] Flag stomping

Canada can have both hockey medals, they earned them on the ice.

And I'd also like to mention that Russian complaints that their athletes

were disproportionatly picked for "random" drug testing sound hollow
when so many of those athletes *failed* said tests.

The Russian whining after Hughes won her gold medal did sound pro forma,

unless they think that losing your balance on an easier program earns
you more points than a more difficult program executed flawlessly.

Brian Bilderback wrote:

> Tomb Wrote::
>

>> The way the CBC reported things, the US Women's Team put the Canadian
>> Flag on their locker room floor in order to remind them who they were
>> there to beat and who was hot on their heels. Supposedly they (out of
>> respect) did not walk on it. It just occupied floorspace.
>

> Still doesn't sound good.  As an American, I know how I'd feel if
> someone did that to Old Glory, we should show the same respect to
> other nations' flags.  If it's true, we should apologize.
>
>> And the Canadian comment after the Gold was a good rejoinder "The
>> Americans had our flag on their dressing room floor, now I want to
know
>> if they want us to sign it?".
>>
>> I'm sure it was all in the spirit of preparing for competition, but
in
>> this case it may have served to fire up the Canadian team - perhaps a
>> backfire of sorts.
>

> Personally, I'm glad Canada won, especially the men -- they wanted it
> more, it means more to them, they fought hard and earned it.
> Congratulations.  At leeast we lost to the best team in the world and
> noone else - not even no Belarus ;-)
>
> Ihe end, we had to be pleased with our showing, considering that the
> US is usually NOT a winter power.  The sledding contingient
> particularly did us proud.
>

>> PS - Congratulations are indeed in order to Germany, although if they
>> didn't win Hockey or Curling, they really just got Consolation
Prizes.
>> <*heh*>
>

> You mean frozen shuffleboard? ;-)
>
>> PPS - Lots of respect for Norway for beating the Canadian Men in
Curling
>> (in the 10th end and it all came down to the last rock) and to
Scotland