Prev: Re: RE: Space Sports Next: Re: RE: Space Sports

RE: [FT/MT/DS]: Mass vs Capacity

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:11:54 +1100
Subject: RE: [FT/MT/DS]: Mass vs Capacity

On Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:47 AM, Brian Bilderback
[SMTP:bbilderback@hotmail.com] wrote:
> I D/L'ed and have been reading MT (thanks again!).  I am particularly
> interested in the FT/DS interface.  But I have a small problem with
the
> rules for cargo:  They seem a bit generous in cargo/mass.  Per the
rules,
> fighter is mass 1 (mass 1.5/fighter for the fighter & it's bay).  The
FT/DS
> rules state that a FT fighter is fully acceptable as a DS fighter,
which
> means I must conclude that it's DS stats would include a size class
between
> 1 and 7.  But the rules for cargo state that 1 mass = 50 cargo points,
and

> that vehicles take up 4 CP per size class.  That means a class 7
vehicle
> takes up 28 CP, or .56 mass.	seems a bit low for what it should take
up.
> haven't begun to break down infantry yet.  Does anyone have any better
HR's
> for this issue?

Vehicles take up 1.5 times their own capacity, so a size 7 vehicle would
occupy 7*5*1.5 = 52.5 CS of cargo space.  Note that this is combat ready
status.  You can pack them in at the full 1 CP = 1 CS but you would need
uncrate them & prep them on arrival.
Infantry works out the same.  1 CS per man for coldsleep, or 4 CS per
man
for single bunking (this is comparable to Traveller space requirements
as
well!)

Some numbers were crunched on the list last year, and it worked out to
between 20-25 CS per mass under FTFB1&2.
ie: 1 CS = 4 tonne.
Due to the maximum armour and weapons you can put on an aerospace
fighter in
DS, fighters would normally be between size 3 and size 4.

*****
Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/

Prev: Re: RE: Space Sports Next: Re: RE: Space Sports