Prev: Mailing Lists Next: Small squads

Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic)

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:11:22 -0500
Subject: Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic)

1) Curling: KH thinks this is a bit odd. Karl-Heinz, it is a _Scottish_
sport. Just thank the Lord it does not involve Sheep or parts thereof.
These are the same people that invented the Caber Toss. And as for it
being shuffleboard, to quote a line from the upcoming Men With Brooms
movie (how dreadfully Canadian), "To play this game, you need really big
Stones."

2) Hockey/Flags: We're from Canada. We don't like to see our flag
abused, but we're not likely to start and incident over it. We don't
have quite the same reverence for the flag here as in the USA (IMO).

Just to give our European Listers a chuckle, here's an excerpt from a
letter from an Irish born Canadian citizen (an FTer) now living in Den
Hague ( a buddy ):

---------------------

"We are able to reap the rewards of being a Common Wealth nation, in
that the BBC covers most games involving CW countries, especially when
there is the distinct possiblity of the boots being put to Uncle Sam.

So in short, the mens hockey was watched in full -with brief pauses as I
try to explain the game as I understand it, to Helen. [Ed: The English
born G.F. also living in Den Hague]  What a great game too (esp. because
we won ;)  The BBC coverage was quite entertaining as the Beeb uses
their own hockey guy (ha ha, no really, he knew all the rules and
players names and was on the whole quite fair and only slightly
pro-Canada and just a bit anti-US (do the math :)  However, they had to
have a colour comentator.  So they hired some American called Tim to do
the color commentary.  Very enterating as Tim lets go with great
commentary "Wow! its a full crowd here tonight!"  and the Beeb guy
replies "Yeah, when I mentioned earlier that the tickets were $2500 a
piece from scalpers I assumed the TV audiance would have figured that
out."  Or (after another Canada goal) Tim "Well we seem to have a
non-partisan crowd here tonight"...."Yes Tim, execept the Canadians are
out numbered about 3 to 1, but other than that its pretty even"."

---------------------

I can see an obvious cultural difference here between the people who
appreciate some Britcoms and the crowd that watches the WWF - obviously
the commentating styles differ accordingly...

3) Future sports:
Full-Armour PA Football
Grav Ball
Low-G Taekwondo
3D Space Soccer (football to you Brits)
Cricket (no one can kill this if it ain't dead yet)
Feeding Yourself to <insert lethal creature or plant> (OUDF sport)
3D Jello Wrestling <not rightly a sport perhaps... but entertaining!>
Whatever that game that Apollo and Starbuck played was
Extremely, Absolutely and Completely Veiled US Bashing (Just for Magic!)
Orbital Platform Diving
Septathlon (Dunno what they'll add, but they'll find something....)
Trying to find an Alternative to the Liberals in Canada (it must be a
sport....)

Prev: Mailing Lists Next: Small squads