Prev: RE: SPS/Pulsars Next: RE: SPS/Pulsars

Re: [OT] Flag stomping

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:05:22 -0800
Subject: Re: [OT] Flag stomping

Tomb Wrote::

>The way the CBC reported things, the US Women's Team put the Canadian
>Flag on their locker room floor in order to remind them who they were
>there to beat and who was hot on their heels. Supposedly they (out of
>respect) did not walk on it. It just occupied floorspace.

Still doesn't sound good.  As an American, I know how I'd feel if
someone
did that to Old Glory, we should show the same respect to other nations'

flags.	If it's true, we should apologize.

>And the Canadian comment after the Gold was a good rejoinder "The
>Americans had our flag on their dressing room floor, now I want to know
>if they want us to sign it?".
>
>I'm sure it was all in the spirit of preparing for competition, but in
>this case it may have served to fire up the Canadian team - perhaps a
>backfire of sorts.

Personally, I'm glad Canada won, especially the men -- they wanted it
more,
it means more to them, they fought hard and earned it.	Congratulations.
 At
leeast we lost to the best team in the world and noone else - not even
no
Belarus ;-)

Ihe end, we had to be pleased with our showing, considering that the US
is
usually NOT a winter power.  The sledding contingient particularly did
us
proud.

>PS - Congratulations are indeed in order to Germany, although if they
>didn't win Hockey or Curling, they really just got Consolation Prizes.
><*heh*>

You mean frozen shuffleboard? ;-)

>PPS - Lots of respect for Norway for beating the Canadian Men in
Curling
>(in the 10th end and it all came down to the last rock) and to Scotland
>(they call them Gr. Britain, but they were all Scottish lasses) for
>beating the Canadian Women in Curling to bring the Gold home to the
>birthplace of Curling.

Both very exciting matches - I've actually grown to understand and enjoy

Curling (the US broadcasters were smart enough to use Canadian
commentators).

>PPPS - A big raspberry to the Russians who doped and to the government
>who seems to be acting like a petulant 5-year old.... ("I'm taking my
>stuff and going home!"). If you cheat, and get caught, you should be
>turfed. End of story. It applied to Canada (Ben Johnson comes to mind)
>and it should apply to any other nation. Win fair or lose fair... I
>respect either. Cheating is beneath contempt.

Amen to that.  And may I also say to Canada congratulations for
producing
someone as outstandingly drop dead gorgeous as Jamie Sale.  Woo Hoo.

2B^2

Prev: RE: SPS/Pulsars Next: RE: SPS/Pulsars