Prev: Re: Differential GPS Next: [SG][ECC] A Change of Orders

Re: Differential GPS

From: aebrain@a... (Alan E Brain)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:44:36 +1100
Subject: Re: Differential GPS

The highly esteemed Brendan Pratt (winner of Full Thrust competitions
too numerous to mention) wrote:

> - by using the fixed value of the DGPS broadcast point, accuracies
improved
> substantially - the value dropped off the moment the dither factor was
> lifted - still usefull under very bad weather conditions but otherwise
> expensive and bulky woth no current value.... (a standard GPS needs
> additional reciever hardware to pick up dgps broadcasts).

Jeez, you stop doing military work for a few years and see what happens.

I bust a gut making sure I only give the general theory, with no Classy
figures, only ballpark ones, and I find that the formerly classified-up-
the-wazoo burn-before-reading kit/data is available through
fishing-tackle
stores (!!), and the owner knows at least as much about the intricate
technical details as I do. Probably more.

Goodonya Brendan. <g>

Ah for the good old days of Satnav and Sextant (good name for a game
about the Naval Cold War?), Rhumb Lines, Running Fixes, and Cocked Hat
Reduction*. Avast there, Shiver me timbers, and Where Be the Poop Deck.
(The Poop Deck be below the Crow's nest, that's why it do be called the
Poop Deck, Arr.)

Prev: Re: Differential GPS Next: [SG][ECC] A Change of Orders