Prev: Re: GPS + Pulsars + an apology/rebuttal Next: Re: newbie question

Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:47:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

> The original Voyager "To Occupant" message used Pulsars and
distances to
> locate Sol to anyone within the Galaxy. Fortunately, we also have an
unusually bright star -
> Sirius - in our neighbourhood. Even intergalactic navigation would
be possible using the combination - the
> Pulsars to get the "area code", then find Sirius (which can be done
from halfway across the
> Galaxy), and it's up the road and turn left a few parsecs.

IIRC I specified 20 parsecs diameter for HM space, which is why I
wasn't discussing about the "area code."  I agree that if you didn't
know what part of the galaxy you were in, pulsars would be the first
step in narrowing it down.  Although if you're that badly lost, you
might need to look for angelic visitation before you look for pulsars.

Prev: Re: GPS + Pulsars + an apology/rebuttal Next: Re: newbie question