Prev: RE: [OT] Bug history was: Starship Troopers Next: RE: [OT] Bug history was: Starship Troopers

RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:11:32 +1100
Subject: RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy

G'day John,

> Hi Beth,
>      I would think that in the FT form of travel
> the trip is quite passive.   6 hour recharge between
> jumps, thousands of merchant ships, many thousands
> of warships, massive colony ships infers that the
> process is not harmful to the human body/mind even
> after frequent exposure.

Cool.

> Have no fear, the human mind will develop local
> legends for the other planets.

I was actually wondering how weird it would look from a nearby planet.
Aussies would obviously feel a little disconcerted if they were sitting
on a
planet around Alpha Centuari as there would be no "pointers" (you'd be
sitting on one), but I was just wondering how different it would all
look,
or would there just be little odd bits? Ray's link says there would be
odd
bits (due to our Sun being up there too), the one bit I hadn't clicked
would be that the Sun would fit into a different constellation depending
on
which star system you travelled to.

> Slightly off the subject of your post..
> Navigation well most likey be done by using at least
> three known pulsars to determine location in space.
> Kind of like looking at 'lighthouses' in the stars.

I'll take your word on that ;)

Prev: RE: [OT] Bug history was: Starship Troopers Next: RE: [OT] Bug history was: Starship Troopers