Prev: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy Next: RE: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

Re: [OT] Starship Troopers

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:58:32 GMT
Subject: Re: [OT] Starship Troopers

In message <3C74530C.6633B1BD@intercomltd.com>
	  Edward Lipsett <translation@intercomltd.com> wrote:
> Glenn M Wilson wrote:

> > Why would I *want* my bugs (Hordes of the Things) also armed with
> > effective weaponry?  I can't win with plain old HTH bugs!

[re-ordered]

> In the CG series  (Roughnecks; I'm just DVDing it now with the kids),
> the bugs only use a very few biological weapons, but basically just
> swarm.
> Very effective, actually. The trooper weapons take out bugs very
> quickly, but there are always a LOT of bugs, and continuous shots of
> hundreds of bugs converging on our 6-man hero squad which is running
out
> of ammo...
>
> =====
> Novel, n. A short story padded.
> - Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
> =====
> Edward Lipsett

IIRC among the 'ranged weapon' bugs in Roughnecks there were:

The big plasma bugs from the film - usually used as artillery or
anti-ship.
'Rippler' improved flying bugs, could 'spit' an acid-coated serrated
blade that could penetrate mobile suits.
'Blister' bugs that had a short-range acid spit.
'Blaster' bugs, looked like the blisters, but spat a long-range 1000
degree fireball, they also generated a 'heat field' that acted as a
counter-missile defence!!!!!
And of course the souped-up 'tank' bug, that was IIRC virtually
grenade-proof :-)

Charles

Prev: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy Next: RE: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy