Prev: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy Next: Re: A E VAN VOGT

RE: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:38:14 -0500
Subject: RE: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy

Quoth I:
> No pulsars close by, are there?  I'd like we'd use nearby bright stars
eg Sirius--the closer they are, the easier it is to judge your exact
position.
> (If you're trying to get the right driveway, you might estimate from
the end of the block--not from the Eiffel Tower, as even though it
stands out well, it's a bit too far away).

Quoth Indy:
>Nice analogy, but for space navigation, doesn't quite work. Star
brightness is irrelevant to distance, so if you pop into an unknown
area of space, it won't work at all trying to figure out whether that
bright star you see is nearby and not.

I was thinking of triangulating from multiple stars.  Pulksars would be
more idetifiable, I suppose, especially if you're travelling long
distances.  Siruis is not going to hard to find in you're in
human-occupied space in the GZG verse, though is it? Call it 20 parsecs
or so.

Prev: Re: [FH] FTL, astronomy Next: Re: A E VAN VOGT