Prev: Re: [OT] oddball enrivonment questions Next: FT: Ships

Re: [OT] oddball enrivonment questions

From: Edward Lipsett <translation@i...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:52:20 +0900
Subject: Re: [OT] oddball enrivonment questions

Take a look at
http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/society/rhnc/rhnc12ti-e.htm

somewhere (probably on this page, but i can't find it right now) they
also mention they had to switch to a special lubricant for vacuum use.

Laserlight wrote:

> > On the other hand, what will give you problems is lubrication -
normal
> > grease will boil off quite readily. I don't know whether vacuum-safe
> > lubricants have been developed.
>
> Plastics tend to lose their volatiles, which means they're no longer
> plastic.  There is at least one plastic which retains its properties
> pretty well in vacuum.  It's a Dupont product called Vespel, and if
> prices continued the way they were when I was selling it, a single
> 1"x10"x10" plaque will run close to $4000.

=====
If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written
yet, then you must write it.
- Toni Morrison
=====
Edward Lipsett
Intercom, Ltd.
Fukuoka, Japan
translation@intercomltd.com
http://www.intercomltd.com
Tel: +81-92-712-9120

Prev: Re: [OT] oddball enrivonment questions Next: FT: Ships