Prev: RE: Epic Tau Next: [CON] ECC V - Two weeks to go!

[LIST] gentle reminders

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:40:37 -0500
Subject: [LIST] gentle reminders

Hi guys and gals,

Just a periodic issuance of an old reminder.

No big thing, but I'd just like to remind people to try to do the
following if their mailers allows:

	- disable HTML or RTF outputs (only send plain text to the list)
	- clip prior posts when replying (especially if they are large),
don't just add on to the top
	- disable attachment sending to the list (this includes
signatures and vcards unless they are in-body text)

I specifically notice in the last few weeks (as I'm on the digest, and
this is where these things show up rather profoundly) the increased
incidence of some of these things. I know some mailers make some of this
problematic <hint: try to find a better mailer...*grin*> and so if it
can't be done, it isn't the end of the world, but if it can be cut out,
then it is a boon to do so.

Vcards and other out-of-body-text signatures appear in the digest as a
whole pile of lies of
AAAaa;flkjasdoiuoiucauuUEUEUU:KnSJDFnjsjfdshfhSUDFSDSEE etc.....

HTML or RTF sent to the list tends to produce multiple messages in the
digests with all of the tags visible (ick!).

Failing to clip prior posts (if they are large) results in a lot of
consumed space too.

In effect, all of these burn a lot of space and make the digests harder
to read. Many of the folks on the list still have less-than-broad-band
access to the net, so downloading piles of repeat data or jumbled stuff
that the mail server does not handle well is just painful.

My (and I'm sure others') thanks in advance, and if you can't alter your
mailer output, no one will shoot you. If you have trouble changing
mailer settings, the collected technical savvy of the list can probably
help you do so.

Tomb Raider.

PS - Even with the occaisional problem, I recommend digests. Helps get
the flow of the list conversations in the right order, only 1-2 DL per

Prev: RE: Epic Tau Next: [CON] ECC V - Two weeks to go!