Prev: Fwd: Re: RE: [FT] Strange Forces Next: RE: Re: RE: [FT] Strange Forces

Re: Re: RE: [FT] Strange Forces

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:53:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Re: RE: [FT] Strange Forces

> >gravitational effects.  However, it would not be too much of a
stretch to
> >imagine that antigravity is a property of antimatter, just as
gravity is a
> >property of matter.	This would be a force that attracts antimatter
> >other >antimatter, but repels matter from antimatter.

As I had understood it, antimatter has positive mass and therefore
normal gravity; however, it is possible that there are particles with
negative mass, which would attract each other but repel particles with
positive matter.  There was an article in Analog which discussed this,
probably somewhere 1980 and 1990.  The author said that you could
couple a positive and negative mass and get something which constantly
accelerated with no energy input and, since half the mass is negative,
it doesn't violate conservation of mass-energy.

It occured to me that this may be the way photons work, and why we
can't make up our mind whether they're waves or particles.

I can't unfortunately, recall who the author is and it's not in one of

Prev: Fwd: Re: RE: [FT] Strange Forces Next: RE: Re: RE: [FT] Strange Forces