Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Shipyard Update....... Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Shipyard Update.......

Re: FT: Ship designs

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:12:49 +0100
Subject: Re: FT: Ship designs

2B^2 wrote:

>1.  I was considering a new class of ship, the Destroyer Escort (DE).
It
>would be in the same mass range as the DD or CL, and would sacrifice
>offensive firepower for increased PDS and ADFC capability.  Has anyone
>tried this before,

Yes. There's even one in the FBs - the NSL CL in FB1, the Kronprinz
Wilhelm
class, has a more specialized ADFC version with 5 PDSs.

Remember that the area defence ship can only protect one friendly ship
per
ADFC per turn.

>and if so, how well does it work?

Generally speaking I'm not too impressed by ships which drops *all*
anti-ship armament for PDS+ADFC - an enemy which *doesn't* rely on
fighters
or missiles will simply ignore it. DDEs armed with some anti-ship
weapons
in addition to the point defences are a lot more flexible.

How well they work, well... in small battles there usually aren't very
many
fighters or missiles around, so a DDE can work well. In larger battles
small ships make themselves priority targets (eg. by demonstrating ADFC
capability when the enemy wants to use fighters) tend to not last very
long :-/

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Shipyard Update....... Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Shipyard Update.......