Prev: Re: FT: One question, was THEY CAME! THEY CAME!!!!!! Next: Re: Western conventions (was GenCon...)

Re: Fusion

From: katie@f...
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:19:46 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Fusion

Quoting KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de:

> Bell, Brian K (Contractor) schrieb:
> > How will fusion work in the game future history?
> >
> > Is it a sustained fusing of one or a few atoms at a time
> > over a long period?
> > Is it periodic fusing of a larger number of atoms,
> > collecting and storing the energy?
>
> Both principles are possible, and it also depends on the time scale. A
>
> typical internal combustion engine (e.g.a Diesel motor) would
> technically fit under the
> second definition, as the fuel ignitions happen periodically, even if
> the period is several 1000 times a minute. For most practical
purposes,

> a Diesel engine provides a continuous output of energy. A turbine, in
> contrast is indeed a sustained energy source.
>
> It is hard to envision a fusion power plant that produces large
amounts

> of energy at large intervals (say, every few hours or longer), nor
does

> there seeem to be a need for that.
>
> > Either method has difficulties.
> >
> > Sustained fusion would have to extremely protected both
> > from direct hits and from being jostled.
>
> Not really. The fusion reactor itself is not really dangerous, no
worse

> than the boiler of a steam or a gasoline tank. A fusion engine using
> electromagnetic confinement methods (Plasma or Z-pinch) will have very
>
> fast control and damping systems anyway. These should be able to cope
> with any mechanical jostling, too.

I have heard tell of an experimental reactor that had a glitch in the
containment. The fusion stream impacted the side of the reactor with
quite some
force. Enough to move the (not small) casing across the floor.

If you ruptured the casing and the containment, I doubt the plasma
stream would
be healthy for people nearby.

> > It may also have excessive heat and/or gas/vapor
> > discharges. And if you are not using all the energy each
> > moment, it will be wasted.

> There will be enough energy to go around, as we have discussed.
> However, there may be environmental concerns from too much heat
output,

> and in a military context, a strong heat source is undesirable versus
> enemies equipped with thermal sensors.
>
> > I prefer some limitations on the fusion reactor to give a
> > reason to take the fuel cell or internal combustion engines.
>
> Minimum weights, sizes and power output seem very reasonable
> restrrictions on fusion engines.

There is some radiation output which would require shielding. There is
also

Prev: Re: FT: One question, was THEY CAME! THEY CAME!!!!!! Next: Re: Western conventions (was GenCon...)