Prev: RE: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth Next: Re: Beginnings of a fleet

FT-Basic thrust (or primative ships)

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:16:35 -0000
Subject: FT-Basic thrust (or primative ships)

I was just thinking about the piece I sent about JC conversions, and
also
the piece about less advanced ships (OKey, lets call them primative)
having
fuel/reaction mass. My thinking was along the lines of the tech trees
and
campain systems, in that the use of fuel in these less advanced ships
would
be able to be used in such a way that moreadvanced engines could gat
more
thrust per fuel. In the original post, I said 10 thrust points per 5%
mass
of tankage, for more advanced engines (each tech level advancement in
engines) you could have the thrust per fuel tank increase (20 per 5%
mass
for example).

There is also the fact to consider for these less advanced (reaction
drive)
engines the ability to refuel fuel from other ships. For a 200 mass
ship, a
tank would contain 200 point of fuel, and require 20 points of fuel for
1
thrust point. This amount of fuel would be enough to fuel 10 mass 20
ships
to the same amount, at the same engine tech level. The more advanced
engine
tech levels would gain the same fuel from refueling, but would be able
get more thrust from the same amout (if you engines were twice as
effiecient, the same fuel for a mass 200 ship would refuel 20 mass 20
ships).

I`ll leave other people to think over any ideas this raises.

Of corse, there is also the use of tankers/refueling ships and such that
this would bring up (with said ships becoming very good targets for your
enemies).

Prev: RE: VTOL stands, Traveller Figures, and Beth Next: Re: Beginnings of a fleet