Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Re: Fusion energy was: SNOW JOB

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:40:51 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: Fusion energy was: SNOW JOB

K.H.Ranitzsch schrieb:
> [...]

To Roger :
(Sorry, hit the delete button before I decided to answer)

I was not talking about antimatter annihilation, but about fusion and
fission. Nor about high efficiencies. I illustrated my argument with
nuclear explosion which are awfully inefficient.

http://www.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/home.html
Has a section on nuclear physics where the available energies are
discussed.
They are given in eV (Electron Volts, a convenient energy unit for
events at the atomic scale) and MeV (Million Electron Volts) :

Ennergy from antimatter annihilation (proton + antiproton) : 2x 1875 =
3750 MeV
Energy from fusing two protons (hydrogen) : 2.2 MeV
Energy from the fission of one Uranium atom: 200 MeV
Energy binding an electron to a hydrogen atom : 13.6 eV
The latter is an upper limit for what you can get from a chemical
reaction. Burning hydrogen and oxygen will produce rather less (sorry,
don't have a number handy). A factor of about a million. Anitmatter
annihilation produces a thousand times more than that.

http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/plambeck/index.htm
"The binding energy of the atom is given by the Einstein equation as
[...]  1.43 x 10+13 J/mol). This amount of energy is much greater than
the normal energies which are involved in the formation of chemical
bonds, a few to a few hundred kJ/mol."

"a few hundred KJ" is 10E+5 J, compared to 10E+13 this is a factor of
10E+8 (100 Million)

Whatever way you cut it, and even assuming extremely poor efficiencies,
with a nuclear engine you wouldn't have to worry about refuelling for
the foreseeable mechanical lifetime of the tank. This holds even for
any energy use which we can realistically asses (e.g.GEV mobility or
Laser guns).

How long a tank with grav drive and a plasma gun will run on a full
tank of hydrogen is left as an exercise for the reader :-)

Greetings

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON