Prev: Re: Bundermarine FPBs Next: Re: Colourful Australian Lingo

Re: Colonization stuff

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 18:40:36 -0500
Subject: Re: Colonization stuff

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Milady Beth say:
> A less savoury solution (and I'm not
> starting an argument, just making an
> observation) maybe the strict enforcement
> of laws on birth control, in much the same
> way as the Chinese enforced their one child
> laws in their seaboard provinces during the
> last decade or so.
>
> [Tomb] I recall hearing about the Chinese
> population control attempts in the 80s, but
> I seem to recall hearing in the 90s that the
> math showed it had been a bust and that
> they'd pooched it. Did it actually work?

China's one-child policy has been a mixed bag.	Their population growth
has slowed, but it has not stopped, and there is an imbalance between
the sexes due to a preference for male children implemented by either
abortion or infanticide of females.  They are also coming to face a
problem with an aging population.

The one "success" of the program is that couples made up of only
children are allowed to have two children, but often choose to have

Prev: Re: Bundermarine FPBs Next: Re: Colourful Australian Lingo