Prev: Re: Rattling the Cage Next: Re: Re: Rattling the Cage

Re: Colourful Australian Lingo

From: aebrain@a... (Alan E Brain)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:28:08 +1100
Subject: Re: Colourful Australian Lingo

> >What about the Canberras of No 2 Squadron? You remember the Canberra
--
> >the light, fast bomber that was so good that the Septics produced
> >it under license as the B-57? <eg>
>
> Septics?  Please tell me that's a typo....

Sorry, no can do.

Septic -> Septic Tank -> Rhyming slang for "Yank".

Only used to a USAians face if he's a really good mate, who will
understand.
Even then, used sparingly to avoid offence. Usually used to describe the
US, especially the US military, when they're out of earshot. Equivalent
of (obs) US usage "Limey" to describes Poms. Or for that matter current
Australian usage Pom to describe UKians, especially English as opposed
to Scots, Welsh, Irish.

"Septic Reffo" refers to one of the many USAians who have emigrated to
Australia. "Reffo" -> "Refugee", hence any immigrant. I've been here
since 1968, so could be described as a gumnutted Pom Reffo (Immigrant
from the UK who's got Australian Citizenship).

To get this back on topic - I wonder what words the colonists will have
for the stay-at-home stick-in-the-mud Core population, and the
irretrievably conservative Earthies?

Prev: Re: Rattling the Cage Next: Re: Re: Rattling the Cage