Prev: [DSII] VTOL stands Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Re: [FT] Tech Trees

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:29:19 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Tech Trees

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 07:43:22PM +0100, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>Roger Burton-West wrote:
>>(1) Don't allow mixed-tech ships (e.g. Stingers on a human ship),
>>because I find them ugly
>Is this experience talking, or untested gut feeling?

Experience of MT Kra'Vak/Human hybrids outfighting MT Kra'Vak, mainly.
But "ugly" was more of an aesthetic comment than a game-balance one.

>>and the rules would need to be seriously rewritten to balance them.
>I agree wrt the Sa'Vasku; they're too different from everything else to
be
>mixed easily.
>I strongly disagree wrt Phalon and Kra'Vak tech. It is designed to mix
>easily with human tech, and priced accordingly.

That's fair enough; S'V seem to be the first thing to come up in
most mixed-tech discussions. I think, though - and this _is_ untested
gut feeling - that part of the cost of systems is predicated on the
other systems one can use with it. Kra'Vak don't get attack or torpedo
fighters, for example; if they did, this would create a new tactical
situation unlike that which one meets when facing attack fighters _or_
Kra'Vak.

Or to put it another way: a Phalon fleet has a distinctive flavour which
a human fleet with PBLs and Pulsers would not.

Prev: [DSII] VTOL stands Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON