Prev: Near-Topic: G forces Next: RE: Near-Topic: G forces

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 04:28:46 +1100
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

At 05:45  4/02/02 -0800, John howled at the sky:

>Well, considering that Australia's last moment of
>military glory was. . . contributing a batallion to
>the thing in RVN about 30 years ago

Well your improving John, last time you tried this line (with Beth, off
list) you tried to claim that Australia's total contribution to the
Vietnam
war was half a dozen observers/advisors.

Actually the number of advisors was 30. Australia's further commitment
the war in Vietnam did indeed start with a Battalion ( 1 Battalion Royal

Australian Regiment), joining the US 173rd Airborne Brigade. After a
year's
service the battalion was replaced by a brigade sized formation (1
Australian Task Force), this included two battalions and elements from
all
supporting arms (including artillery, armour and special forces). Other
Australian units/formations present were

1 Australian Logistics Group
HQ Australian Force Vietnam
HQ II Field Force Vietnam
No 9 Squadron RAAF (flying UH-1)
No 35 Squadron RAAF (flying Caribou)
This doesn't include Royal Australian Navy personnel and ships and
personnel from the New Zealand armed forces

At the peak of it's involvement the Australian commitment totaled more
than
7000 and 50 000 Army, Airforce and Navy personnel served in Vietnam.

Something larger than a battalion I would think?

As for the Australian Defence Forces involvement in 'military glory' as
you
put it for the last , I think Beth covered in general the regions
Australian servicemen and women have served and still are serving in the

'last thirty years'.

>I'd have to say
>that the US Army has PAC clerks and finance weenies
>deployed to Afghanistan who can consider basically
>everyone in the Australian Army, including airborne
>infantry and everything else, as REMFs.

Just so you will have a clue I found this for you "The Australian
Defence
Force is providing about 1550 people to protect and support the
international coalition's military efforts to combat terrorism. This
Australian contingent will include capabilities from Special Forces,
Navy
frigates and a transport ship with air defence, long range maritime
patrol
aircraft, tanker aircraft and F/A-18 fighter aircraft."

Further more it is a Australian Naval Officer who currently commands the

international naval force enforcing sanctions against Iraq in the Gulf.

>Now, in Australia you can't afford combined arms[1],
>so you don't have this beautifully orchestrated ballet
>of farm implements, so you wouldn't know what in God's
>name I'm talking about.  I'd suggest doing some
>research before running off at the mouth again.
>
>John
>
>[1]That would be where you have a variety of military
>personnel capable of doing different things in combat.
>  It helps to be able to afford tanks, artillery
>pieces, air defense weapons, engineer vehicles, and
>combat aviation.  Oh, and have more than a brigade's
>worth of soldiers.

Actually the Australian military has long been aware of the concept of
combined arms, there was a General Monash who aptly demonstrated the
concept to the German's in France on the Western Front during WWI.

The ADF does indeed own the odd tank (1st Armoured Regiment), artillery
and
all those other items and as evidenced by the successes of Australian's
fighting overseas since volunteers sailed to New Zealand to fight in the

Moari Wars does know how to use them.

Like Beth suggested, take a leaf out of your own book and at least get
yourself some facts, like I have said to you already 'piss and wind'
doesn't cut it. I excepted this of you, but so soon? And so badly too :)

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: Near-Topic: G forces Next: RE: Near-Topic: G forces