Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: Population control was. Colonization stuff

Re: Army Training Grounds I Have Known

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:00:28 +1100
Subject: Re: Army Training Grounds I Have Known

From: "Michael Brown" <mwbrown@sonic.net>

> John is lucky, it will only be cold and windy (temp @ freezing at
> night and @ 60 F in the middle of the day).  My first visit (of many)
was
in
> late July through early September.  Daytime high of @120 F.  Did I say
there
> were NO trees?  Creosote bushes, alkali flats, rocks, sand, dust, 2
varieties
> for rattlesnake, scorpions,  sand, and more rocks.

Luxury! All the comforts of home.

Last time I was at Singleton (Army training area about 200 miles north
of
Sydney)
I learnt the hard way to *always* shake out your jungle greens* before
putting
em on.
I shared my very personal space - and a pair of trousers - with a
scorpion.
He wasn't pleased. Neither was I after the first sting. By the third I'd
twigged to the situation and hurriedly divested myself of the garment,
which
made both of us much happier. This episode was the cause of much mirth
and
merriment in the rest of 6 platoon, B Company.

*thereby dating this as in the 70s, when I was a teenager, just too
young
for

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: Population control was. Colonization stuff