Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife

Re: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 22:44:01 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife

Some more on Oz beasties.
http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/anaes/spiders.html

The reason I'm bringing up the subject again is to share
some good news. My sister got bitten by a whitetail spider
on the shoulder aboout 5 weeks ago. (No, that's not the
good news). The Good News is that the necrosis has stopped,
her shoulder is still mostly intact, and she's healing.

The venom went deep, she lost a lot of muscle under the skin,
and her collarbone broke (actually was eaten away due to
venom/bacterial attack - osteomyelitis - and fractured from
normal stress). But megadoses of antibiotics repeated daily may
have done some good, and there's no continued infection. She's
expected to make a full recovery, with just some minor scarring
on the shoulder.

Whew. Had us worried for a while. First time that osteomyelitis
has been recorded from a whitetail bite. But not a lot is known
about a lot of Australia's venomous wildlife, and there have been
cases of fatalities due to necrosis caused by beasties unknown.

Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife