Prev: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 15:28:44 -0800
Subject: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

>From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
>To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[
>Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:09:20 -0500
>
> > A colony is unlikely to have all the population concentrated in a
>small area.  A good chunk will be devoted to transportation - raw
>materials and goods.  Another will be devoted to making
>infrastructure - roads,
>
>Roads are incredibly expensive to build and maintain.	Is there any
>reason not to use GEVs instead?

Make-work.  Think WPA in the USA in the 1930's.

> >apartments, houses.	Think of how long it would take to generate
>enough single-family housing for 10,000 people
>
>there are prefabbed houses now which take 4 people one weekend to
>erect.

Or a group of Amish about 10 minutes....

> > Education - assuming a low student to teacher ratio - 1:20 or 1:15,
>assuming education lasts a total of 17 years to the equivalent of a
>bachelors degree, if 20% of the population is school aged that equates
>to 50,000 kids then 2,500 people will be involved in teaching
>positions.
>
>electronic learning should help improve the studn to teacher ratio
>quite a bit.

Not to mention that not ALL the kids will need a bachelor's degree -- on
colony world, there will be plenty of opportunities to make a life for
yourself at any educational level.  Home schoolong will help, and if we
assume/PHB our way into the setting where large farms and ranches are
established not because it takes that much space to grow food, but
because
that much land is a reward for going to the new colony, then kids raised
on
those farms will learn how to run them hands-on.

2B^2

Prev: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[