Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: Pounds, Shillings, and Pence

Re: [OT] Languages

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:20:06 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT] Languages

From: "Randall L Joiner" <rljoiner@mindspring.com>

> Senior Systems Engineer for CNN.  My (and my teams) duties include the
> hardware, OS, software, networking, and every little piece of
everything
> inbetween.  I'm responsible (in part) for over 600 systems, 300
> peripherals, etc. etc. etc.

Yowch. Rather you than me. Soft Real Time, but stressed 24/7.

> I've done professional developing of complex systems, and am
proficient
> (maybe not speedy or fresh and not current in most) in over 10+
separate
> languages, 25+ variations of those 10+ languages.

OK, I have to ask: How's your
FORTH?
APL?
Ada-83?
Ada-95?

(FORTH - had to re-engineer some cruddy software on a magnetometer last
week)
(APL - the "write only" language - my first commercial job was using
APL)
(Ada - OK I admit it. I'm almost fanatical about Ada. It's saved my
bacon
sooo
many times when writing real-time or safety-critical systems that I
don't
like
anything else.)

I must admit that anyone who can keep the CNN hotchpotch going with such
good
reliability (though I'm sure that will provoke a guffaw from you) is In
My

Prev: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON Next: Re: Pounds, Shillings, and Pence