Prev: Re: small carrier expense Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:47:36 -0500
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

At 4:37 PM -0800 1/31/02, John Atkinson wrote:

>1)In real combat units[*] we use M-16s, with a handful
>of M-4s.  In my current unit, it's PL, PSG, etc.  In
>Germany we had more, so we issued them to vehicle
>crewmen as well.  The M-4 is a carbine.  It has a role
>as the weapon of people who have things to do in a
>firefight other than put rounds onto the enemy.  Now
>they want to take away the M-16 entirely and replace
>it with a carbine with a high-tech grenade launcher
>that probably won't work anyway.

Likely folks are supposed to keep their M-4s. This would replace the
full M-4 set with the underslung M203.

> > Front like combat soldiers tend to have them. If
> > they had the ability
> > to handle light anti-armor rounds as well, they'd be
> > happier I think.
>
>Right.  A 20mm low velocity grenade?  That's going to
>kill what, a BRDM maybe??  Yipee.  I'm just not
>enthused or convinced that it would represent a major
>improvement over a 40mm grenade.

The difference is that it's supposed to be direct fire. Rather than
having to lob it in a high arc (ala a howitzer) you aim direct at
your target.

>You'll still need AT-4s to kill anything bigger than a
>BRDM.	And I ain't worried about BRDMs because if the
>enemy's scouts aren't dead by the time I get to the
>fight, someone's done something deeply wrong.

Likely several guys peppering a BRDM, BTR or anything else that is
relatively light will mission kill it. Its also likey to make the
infantry really really want to debuss.

--
Ryan Gill	  |	   |	     rmgill@mindspring.com
		  |	   |

Prev: Re: small carrier expense Next: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON