Prev: Another scratchbuilt ship. Next: Bugs was Re: em4 figures

Re: Pounds, Shillings, and Pence

From: David Brewer <david@b...>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 01:51:15 +0000
Subject: Re: Pounds, Shillings, and Pence

"K.H.Ranitzsch" wrote:

> [...]
silver.

I'm guessing that's half a lb. avoirdupois rather than troy, so 8
oz.? I'm used to seeing medieval accounts where 1 mark = 2/3 of a
pound sterling, 13s 4d, which would equate to 8 oz. of sterling
silver.

I'm also guessing that the commonality of money around Germany and
Scandinavia was down to the Hanseatic League monopolising the
trade around the Baltic so we can, sort of, turn this around to
the colony discussions... I mean it hardly matters if you allow
colonists to have have lasers, tanks or pop-guns, if you dominate
the space around their planet you force a trade monopoly on them
and extract the profits of their labour (which, in turn, pays for
your fleets). The Hanseatic League (AFAIK) never once fielded an
army, but they still got rich on naval supremacy.

--
David Brewer

"It is foolishness and endless trouble to cast a stone at every

Prev: Another scratchbuilt ship. Next: Bugs was Re: em4 figures