Prev: Re: Steam engines was Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS Next: RE: [FT] New weapon system..sort of?

Re: Colonists and Weapons

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:24:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Colonists and Weapons

Solid state focusing is being researched as we speak...  Conceptually,
think fiber-optics from start to exit of the generator.  AFAIR there's
two
types, one using "imperfections" within the fiber to bounce off of
(Think
nano-sized mirrors) the other uses the refractive properities of
differing
materials to focus.  The major advantage is ruggedness.

The other concept to wrap around here is auto-correcting focus.  One
that
set's itself.  Totally self contained.

Either of these shouldn't be a stretch of imagination or technology...
not
when you're willing to concede power, beam types, portability,
etc...	Which can all be "solved" currently with tech we have, or will
have
in the next decade.  Doubt it, and I suggest you go look at some of the
military research being done on SDI (Star wars).

On a side, but possibly interesting note to some out there...  Recently
particle "laser" was produced.	Coherent matter.  Yum.	No, not a
"traditional" particle beam, or ion gun, but a beam of coherent
matter.  For more info go look up Bose-Einstein condensates and recent
articles about them.

As for stopping power, again, I'll point to research going on right
now.  There's research going on for use of a ground based laser to
propel a
satellite into orbit.  Quick and dirty, it hits the bottom of the craft
and
super heats the air under it, expanding air pushes the satellite up.
This
is done with today's lasers.  With tomorrows lasers, and a bit of
research,
we may find that this concept could be used in a laser gun.  So, super
heated air such that it "explodes" (not correct usage, I know, done for
effect... :) right on top of someone...  Concussion, burning...

Rand.

At 08:09 AM 1/31/02 +0100, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:

> [...]
Indeed, if
>the laser can be tuned to produce a low-power visible light beam, I
reckon
>it is easier than zeroing a gun (which also expends ammunition)..
>The weapon itself could be built completely enclosed, except perhaps
for
>exchangeable power supplies. A bullet-shooting weapon needs at least
one
>opening (the muzzle) and probably more (for the magazine and cartridge
>ejection)
>Optics could be diamond coated, and thus proof against scratches.
Anyway,