Prev: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS Next: Re: [FT] IJN Designs?

[OT] colonial weapons (Moore's Theorem)

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 02:58:58 -0500
Subject: [OT] colonial weapons (Moore's Theorem)

Randall said:

*cough*  It's Moore's Law.  It's a tongue-in-cheek
"joke" in hacker/computer jargon.

[Tomb] Randall, just FYI: I teach TCP/IP
programming for Internet applications at our
college and I have a background in both
Electronics, Electrical Engineering, and Software
Development. I have a pretty darn good idea of
Moore's Law, its origins and whatnot (which is the
underlying basis of my prior comment). I don't go
back quite so far as Alan making PDP's in a kitchen,
but I've wirewrapped my own microprocessor
system and written code to drive it in assembler
burn onto ROMs. I have a pretty good idea of who
Moore is, what he said, the paper he released on
the subject, etc. And the Jargon File is a
questionable resource or reference, despite its
pretensions of grandeur or even adequacy.

Similar to Gate's
Law, Parkinson's Law of Data, and Murphy's Law.

[Tomb] My point was that not ONE of these justly
deserves to be called a Law in any rigorous sense.
At best, a half-assed Theorem.

>From dictionary.com, the pertinent parts of the
definition of Law in the context of science are:

1) A statement describing a relationship
observed to be invariable between or among
phenomena for all cases in which the specified
conditions are met: the law of gravity.
2) . In philosophy and physics: A rule of being,
operation, or change, so certain and constant that
it is conceived of as imposed by the will of God
or by some controlling authority; as, the law of
gravitation; the laws of motion; the law heredity;
the laws of thought; the laws of cause and effect;
law of self-preservation.

Any of the "alleged" Laws you mention above
are at best theorems given the fact that they
cannot be mathematically proven for all cases
and that we have not undergone sufficient time
and exhaustive study as to consider them proven.

On the topic particularly of Moore's "Law",
there have been many allegations about how
Moore's "Law" will cease to apply in the none
too distant future (there have, fairly, been
arguments on the other side). One basis for
attacking Moore's Law is the basic physical
limits which will be reached sometime along the
line which limit the minimum size of a switching
element (the core of a processor) based on
certain atomic size limitations.

I'm not even saying Moore's "Law" is a terrible
theory - it has held out for longer than people
would have suspected. But to call it a Law is
more than vaguely insulting to real science as it
is number based pseudo-science and
(temporarily supported) conjecture. It is this
exact slackness that is part of what is keeping
computer engineering from being properly
integrated with the rest of the engineering
profession. (There are other reasons).

>[Tomb] It always takes tech complexity to make
the state ofthe art item with state of the art
efficiency and features.If you are willing to settle
for a lesser feature set andapply state of the art
engineering to building somethingrobust and simple
(rarely done in the real world because
>people want features and there is no market),
you CANproduce something far more robust and
simple.

Not true...  Robust and simple are OFTEN built in
the real world.

[Tomb] I'm more than happy to randomly point to a
hundred instances of an overly complex mechanical
or electronic system in my daily environment.
Feature-rich is a buzzword. It sells. Thus the world
is full of non-simple devices and systems. If it were
otherwise, many modern systems would be far
more reliable. I didn't imply that we never built
robust, simple stuff. We just spend a lot of time
making things fancy or feature-rich or snazzy
looking. Often to the detriment of the end product
which could have been better enhanced by more
testing, fewer features, more reliability.

  The problem is, these terms are _really_
subjective terms.

[Tomb] Conceded. However, in the sense of a
colonial piece of equipment, there is a clear
absolute standard: how does it do its job, and how
long does it last.

 Simple and robust chips are much more complex
and unreliable when compared to fire-starting
equipment like a lighter.

[Tomb] Even this statement is problematic. I think
modern computer memory could be considered
simple, but these will last 15 years? Will the
lighter? And aren't you comparing apples and
oranges? Wouldn't it make more sense to compare
a zippo to a modern piezo-electric lighter with an
element that can put out 2000 degrees? Or to
compare a 386 chip rated for the space program
(simple, in this comparison, and robust) to a
bleeding edge AMD chip? Which is more robust?

 Which is much more complex than say a match.
Most first run products are simple, feature-poor
commodities. It's the 2.0 and beyond that get nasty.

[Tomb] In an economic sense, most prototypes are
either underengineered or overengineered
(probably in equal measure or a bit of both). As
time goes by, things get made lighter (sometimes
at the cost of durability - who needs a 286 to last
20  years? We throw it out in 5), sometimes
features get added. Sometimes later models are
refined with the edges taken off (leatherman tools
are an example) and sometimes they are feature-
heavy bloaters with dubious reliability.

Simple and robust are not always easier to
manufacture either.  It is a simple procedure you
can do in the house to create Oxygen and
Hydrogen, (both fairly unstable in this
condition).  Many other forms of fire-starting
equipment require massive refineries, complex
chemical processes, etc.  Still, when it comes down
to it...  I'd rather a match to start my fire.

[Tomb] The match is a fairly simple construct.
Simple, robust, and does the job well. Of course, so
might a zippo. Robustness is not always easy to
engineer into an object. Part of this challenge is
dependent on the nature of the object and its
function. Simplicity can be hard to engineer in if the
task it must perform is complex. But the absence of
simplicity introduces plenty of room for mistakes
and plenty of places for failures. Complexity is the
enemy of Robustness. This is ultimately the basic
lesson of Reliability Engineering. Herein we learn
that, for systems of high reliability (0.97 or better I
recall), the optimal number of redudant parallel
switched backups is 2-3. Beyond that, the
complexity you are introducing actually reduces
your overall reliability. Complexity and fancy neato
gee whiz features sell new cars in a showroom on
Albion. The ability for a binary propellant rifle to
function reliably when submersed in muck is much
more of a selling feature on Slimobia III.

Tomb

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS Next: Re: [FT] IJN Designs?