Prev: Re: colonial tech Next: URSA MAJOR - We Come In Peace

Re: [FT] IJN Designs?

From: aebrain@a... (Alan E Brain)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:24:16 +1100
Subject: Re: [FT] IJN Designs?

> Alan, I presume the mass of the Long Lance is 2?  It wasn't stated
when
> mentioned during WotW discussions.

Correct, it's 2 when in a rack. 1 from a (3-mass) launcher.
MT missiles come in 4 flavours (chosen before battle)
"Misericorde" - 3D6 warhead, endurance 1
"Standard" - 2D6 warhead, endurance 3
"Long Lance" - 1D6 warhead, endurance 5.
"EMP" - EMP warhead, endurance 1 (causes an additional threshold on
(3+Scr) or above, plus 1 pt, so an EMP vs SCR-2 target needs a 5+. 3
EMPs affecting a ship in one turn would cause a single 4+ threshold if
it was undamaged, a 3+ if it had lost 1 row etc)
MT missiles move 18" per turn like fighters but before they do, home in
as per SMs, but can also burn an endurance like fighters to move 6" (3"
in vector)after ships have moved.

> A few possible designs for discussion

In summary: make em more fragile, add some more beams and maybe screens
with the saved weight. Standardise on armour = 1 row of hull ( so 16
hull -> 4 armour).

> Destroyer
> Mass: 40
> Cost:
> MD: 6
> FTL: Yes
> Hull: 12; 3/3/3/3
> Armour: 1
> Crew: 2
> Systems: 11 mass
> 1 x FCS
> 2 x PDS
> 1 x Pulsetorp (F)
> 2 x Long Lance Capship missiles

Initial reactions:
cut down hull to 20%.
Add 2 Beam-2s or (better) 4 Beam-1s.
If that's too fragile, increase size.

> Heavy Cruiser
> Mass: 84
> Cost:
> MD: 6
> FTL: Yes
> Hull: 24; 6/6/6/6
> Armour: 4
> Crew: 5
> Systems: 26 mass
> 2 x FCS
> ADFC
> 3 x PDS
> 2 x Pulsetorp (F)
> 2 x Class-2 (6-arc)
> 2 x Long Lance Capship missiles

Hull to 17, add 2 Class-2/3 + 3 Class-1/6

> Battlecruiser
> Mass: 130
> Cost:
> MD:  6
> FTL:	Yes
> Hull: 38; 9/9/10/10
> Armour:
> Crew: 7
> Systems: 40
> 3 x FCS
> ADFC
> 4 x PDS
> Fighter Bay - Std Fighters
> 2 x Pulsetorps (F)
> 2 x Long Lance Capship missiles
> 4 x Class-2 (2 x AP/FP/F, 2 x F/FS/AS)

Hull 26, Armour 6, add 1 Class-2/3 and 3 Class-1/6

> SuperDreadnought
> Mass: 240
> Cost:
> MD:  4
> FTL:	Yes
> Hull: 72; 18/18/18/18
> Armour: 10
> Crew: 12
> Systems: 86 mass
> 4 x FCS
> ADFC
> 4 x PDS
> Fighter Bay - Std Fighters
> 3 x Pulsetorps (FP/F/FS)
> 4 x Long Lance Capship missiles
> 2 x Class-4 (F)
> 4 x Class-3 (2 x AP/FP/F, 2 x F/FS/AS)
> 3 x Class-2 (6-arc)

Hull 48, Armour 12
Add 2 more class-4s(!!!), 1 Class-2/3, 4 Class-1
(what about Screens??)

> Light Carrier
> Mass: 180
> Cost:
> MD:  6
> FTL:	Yes
> Hull: 48; 12/12/12/12
> Armour: 6
> Crew:
> Systems: 52
> 2 x FCS
> ADFC
> 4 x PDS
> 4 x Fighter Bays - Std fighters
> 2 x Long Lance capship missiles
> 4 x Class-2 (2 x AP/FP/F, 2 x F/FS/AS)
> 2 x Class-1 (6-arc)

36 hull. Armour 9.
Delete missiles.
Add 1 Fighter Bay, add 2 Class-2/3.

Of course they're your designs, that's just a first opinion,
and I may change my mind in any event :-)

A SuperDread with 4 Beam-4s, and thrust-4 so it can keep em bearing,
that's scary. It may or may not be effective, but like Yamato/Musashi,
it's

Prev: Re: colonial tech Next: URSA MAJOR - We Come In Peace