Prev: Re: colony size was 1900's Next: Re: In praise of St Jon.

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: Tim Gray <tgray@a...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:10:49 -0500
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Don't discount the army's latest wonderweapon just yet.  If they meet
thier design goals, that is.

It's the full combat load of ammo that will make it a honker.  Also note
that the weapon is only to be issued to 4 troops out of a squad of 9.
How much to you want to bet the other 5 guys are going to be the ones
carrying the mortar stuff.  (Or is mortar stuff already distributed
around the entire sqd?).

I also noticed that the "excused" the weight of the weapon by stating
all the things that they already attach to weapons for different
situations... but how many times have you seen all of those things
attached at ONE TIME?  My guess is never...

My overall reaction is "Gee whiz!  Wow!  Neat!	Can you really make it
work?"

--Flak

How does the OICW system weight compare to the current soldier's
weapons?

1) OICWs weight fielding goal of 14 pounds is 10 to 30% less weight than

the current M16/M4/M203 systems. When comparable features such as
Thermal
Weapon Sight, Optic Sight, Rails, Aiming Light, Leaf Sight and Laser are

added, the standard infantry soldier carries 15 to 19 pounds. This
weight
includes only 1 (30 round) magazine of the 5.56mm and 1 round of 40mm
HE ammo.

2) OICW's 20mm HE round weighs only 1/4 pound compared to the M203’s
40mm round weight of 1/2 pound, a 50% comparison weight savings
with substantially more effectiveness.

3) 18 rounds of 40mm ammunition in a soldier's vest weigh 9 pounds.
If a soldier was carrying 18 rounds of 20mm the weight is 4 1/2 pounds.