Prev: Re: [FT,DSII] From MT Re: Ortillery Next: Re: 2300 AD - GZG

Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:46:24 -0500
Subject: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

At 3:55 PM -0600 1/29/02, Scott Clinton wrote:

>Absolutely, I agree.  Also, f you are going to basically abandon
>your colonies...then YOUR colonies they will no longer be.
>
>I find it hard to accept that in 2150 "empires" will go to the
>trouble of FTL traveling to other solar systems, mapping, preparing,
>recruiting, outfitting, training and transporting colonists...just
>to abandon them with steam engines and 200+ year old technology.
>Sorry, I just don't see the economics in it myself.  Now, if you
>want to say they are penal colonies, thats another matter (actually
>there are cheaper ways of doing that too).

Well it does depend on the distance the colony is. Anything shipped
out is going to be far more expensive than anything you can produce
locally.

If they are there to mine raw materials as the basic reason for the
colony (they build up other industries along the way to self
sufficiency) then you're early shipments to the colony are going to
be bringing in the most needed supplies. Things that they absolutely
need there. Medical stuff seems to come first in my mind. Then food
supplements and more equipment to expand the local industries.
Eventually They'll be able to make everything they need, but I
foresee a period of at least 50 years where many things aren't
locally available and must be shipped in.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			       '72 Honda CB750 -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill	      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
- C&R-FFL - /	Protect Freedom AND Security	  \	       -
-    NRA   /  http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/   \ DoD #0780 -

Prev: Re: [FT,DSII] From MT Re: Ortillery Next: Re: 2300 AD - GZG