Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard...... Next: Re: [SG] Teatowels and Headgear

Re: [SG] Teatowels and Headgear

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:22:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [SG] Teatowels and Headgear

--- Robin Paul <Robin.Paul@tesco.net> wrote:

> > Except for the keffiahs. . . I've yet to meet an
> > Orthodox with a keffiah.

> I don't know what the rank is called, but I've seen
> Russian Orthodox priests
> wearing a headdress that looks like a teatowel with
> a TV aerial on top like
> a Tellytubby.  I _think_ they were fairly senior,
> and it was a pretty
> special occasion- re-burying Romanov remains or
> something of the sort.

Since we're using official nomenclature. . . :)

The monastics (and all the senior clergy are
monastic--bishops and higher) wear a dohicky with a
teatowel on the top.

http://www.russian-orthodox-church.org.ru/en.htm has a
picture of His Holiness the Patriarch of All Russia in
the middle.  Is this what you mean?  It's got a sort
of crown under the tea towel.  The TV antenna is a
cross.	You'll notice simillar crosses on the top of
crowns of Russian Tsars and Roman Emperors.  The
implications are left to the imagination.

http://www.goarch.org/goa/archbishop/ has a picture of
the more usual teatowel-style monastic headgear.  The
teatowel is affixed to a hat rather than being worn on
the top of the head.

But there is absolutely no way in hell you'd find an
Orthodox monastic with so much as an air rifle.
There's no tradition (and in Orthodoxy, if it's not
approved by Tradition, it just doesn't happen) of
violent monks along the lines of Templars,
Hospitallars, et al.

John

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard...... Next: Re: [SG] Teatowels and Headgear