Prev: Re: 2300 AD - GZG Next: Re: [semi-OT] black hawk down?

Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:59:33 -0800
Subject: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

Scott Clinton Wrote:

>:-) Okay...Let me see...
>
>In SG2 we have:

I was referring to gaming in general, not just SG.  For instance, when I

play Star Wars RPG, it's not an issue - that's Space Opera.  As said, it

depends on how gritty you play your games.

>50-100 ton tanks that can hover...

Which isn't that far removed from today's LCAC's....

>rail/gauss weapons in sizes from < 10kg to multi ton sized...
>power armor ...
>fusion power...
>...and lets not forget faster than light travel...
>
>But, you can't buy into a more reliable, robust and slightly more
portable
>version of a weapon that basically can be produced today???

Depends on your definition of the word "Robust."  The precision of a
laser
beam is always going to be much finer than the tolerances even on a
gauss
weapon, and thus much more prone to even a slight jarring knocking it
out of
alignment.  Plus, given the nature of a laser beam, out of alignment for
it
won't mean inaccurate (As for a more conventional weapon),  it will mean

that it's no longer a weapon, just a really, really bright spotlight.

>:-) Hey, to each his own.

Sure.  If you want, just give your settlers Cyborg Psionic Implants.
Those
should be just as plausible, right? ;-)

2B^2

Prev: Re: 2300 AD - GZG Next: Re: [semi-OT] black hawk down?