Prev: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers Next: RE: System defense ship designs

Re: [DSII] Cheese it, Fellas! It's the cops!

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:18:37 +0100
Subject: Re: [DSII] Cheese it, Fellas! It's the cops!

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@voicenet.com>
> As part of a DSII scenario that I'm working on, I'm painting up some
1/300
> scale policemen.  It's not going to be a big force:
>
> Between eight and ten stands of infantry (Old GW Epic scale Imperial
Guard
> -- I love those figures!),
> Four or five light armored "APCs" (Anti-grav police vans.  GZG, I
think?),
> A handful of Striders (Old GW plastics again: the old style Sentinals)
> And maybe some "Riot Tanks" (These really boxy wheeled Battletech
vehicles,
> the name of which I cannot remember.), with which I shall amuse
myself.
> The question is how to stat them.  Infantry, I figure, will be treated
as
> milita.  Mostly greens, maybe one or two regulars.  How about the
vehicles,
> though?  How to reflect their drivers' relative skill level?	Give
them
> basic firecons, make them all greens, give them all leaderships of 3,
or
> something other?
> Motivation will be high, at least for this scenario -- that should
> counteract some of the effects of low skill and experience levels.

What kind of scenario do you have in mind ?

Police against regular military forces ? In that case, your ideas seem
about
right to me.

Police against various kinds of insurgents / rioters ? In this case, I
would
go for a rather higher rating for the police, both in terms of
training/morale as well as equipment-wise. Modern day riot police are
pretty
well trained and equipped, and the equipment you postulate seems on the
tough side for a police force.

Another criterium is the political background. Is it a stable country
with a
decent, well-trained, well-paid police force ? Or some corrupt
third-world
Banana Republic where the policemen's kickbacks regularly exceed their
salary ?

You might also want to think about special rules for non-lethal weaponry
(riot gas, rubber bullets, etc.)

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers Next: RE: System defense ship designs